Saturday, February 16, 2019

The Leisure Seeker - Senior Couple’s Last Roadtrip

What a great film this is! It’s directed by Paolo Virzi and it stars Helen Mirren and Donald Sutherland as John and Ella Spencer, a senior married couple who are both ailing in different ways. They go on a last roadtrip with their old Winnebago RV named The Leisure Seeker. It’s a trip that's entertaining, funny and heart-breaking. they travel from Massachusetts to Key Wesr, Florida.

This film is the Italian director's first attempt at an English language film. The crew was somewhat international. Helen Mirren is British with Russian ancestry while Donald Sutherland is from Canada.

Janel Maloney who portrays daughter Jane, is American and Christian McKay who portrays their son Will is British.

I love the soundtrack with songs like: Carol King's It's Too Late Baby. Janis Joplin's Me and Bobby McGee, Donna Summer's Don't Leave Me This Way.

I also found it very interesting to see real current political events included as part of this fictional story. It was also very touching how Ella and John enjoyed looking at slide shows of their lives together.

If you can watch the dvd of this film it has 2 wonderful special features which are ‘Making of’ and ‘In Conversation with Helen Mirren and Donald Sutherland.’

Here are some quotes from this film:

"I think Mom turned off the cellphone we bought her."---Will

"Jane, Mom and Dad are gone. And you won't believe it! So is the Leisure Seeker."--Will to sister Jane on the phone.

"A Happy Swirl! I have no idea what that could be but it sure sounds promising!"---Ella

"Try to understand. And just let me have this vacation with your father."---Ella to her children

"Prose that is poetry is Hemingway's secret. Do you have any idea how difficult that is to do?"---John to the waitress in diner.

"I'm so happy when you come back to me."---Ella to John

"I am so glad to be back on the road again."---John to Ella

"It's so ice when you forget to be forgetful. Too bad it ends so quickly. I just can't get used to it."---Ella to John

"Goodness you've become pricey....When we used to  come here with the kids, it was $10 for the day."---Ella to Ticket seller who replies,"When was this, back when we were a colony?"

"I mean, you can't remember the names of your own kids, but you do remember that Jenny was always laughing. I'm speechless. I mean, what goes on in that head of yours?"---Ella to John

"It's so painful when you can't remember anything. I'm sick and tired of having to remember everything for you. "---Ella to John

"I can't believe I'm married to someone as beautiful as you."---John to Ella

'What's going on, old-timer?Thinking about running on me? You two want to end up on "The World's Slowest Police Chases"?"---police officer

"Traveling's very important. Broadening your horizons broadens your mind."---John

"There's no need to get upset just because you don't know grammar. You can learn it."---John

"Good me! I don't want to buy it. I just want to spend the night in it. I've never spent that much on a hotel room in my whole life."---Ella

You my friend? Yeah? Worst friend in the world!"---Ella

"I didn't know anything but I sensed that you returned to me. And knowing nothing, I forgave you."---Ella to John


Here are some scenes from this film:






















This is the official trailer: