Wednesday, February 20, 2019

Sally Hawkins great actress In 2 films Part 1

In this post I’m going to write about one of my favorite actresses, Sally Hawkins and I’ll review the first of two films she starred in. One film titled Maudie, is based on a real person and the other titled The Shape of Water (TSoW for short) is a fantasy based on the classic tale of Beauty and the Beast. In both films, Sally Hawkins plays characters who are somewhat incomplete but it’s what makes them different that also makes them so compelling. Ethan Hawke plays Maudie's gruff and somewhat abusive husband Everett.

This post includes my review on the film Maudie directed by the Irish director Aisling Walsh. Sally worked together with this director before in the miniseries Fingersmith.

In Maudie, she portrays the real Maud Lewis, a Nova Scotian folk artist.though she was crippled by juvenile rheumatoid arthritis, bullied and an outcast, she found joy in being an artist. The tiny home that she decorated with her paintings is in a Nova Scotian museum. See the film about it lower in this blogpost.

Here are a few quotes from this film:

"When I was at the orphanage they put us 6, 7 to a bunk. Elbows in my back. Feet up my arse. If you're too fancy to pile in then you can take your knickknacks put them in the red wagon and get out."---Everett Lewis to Maud

"I'm good. I'm not too fancy."---Maud to Everett Lewis

"Let me tell you how it is around here, all right? There's me, them dogs, them chickens, then you."---Everett to Maud

"You gonna do that? We better get married."---Maud to Everett

"We live together. We lay down together. Then why not get married?"---Maud to Everett

"Just because I don't got women banging down my door doesn't mean I gotta marry the first one comes along."---Everett to Maud

"I don't want for much. you know? As long as I got a brush in front of me I don't care. A window. I love a window. A bird whizzing by. A bumblebee. It's always different. The whole of life. The whole of life already frameed."---Maud to her friend Sandra

"I'm better than a dog."---Maud to Everett


Here are a few scenes from this film:






































Here's a video of her art & house in museum:


Here's the official trailer: