Tuesday, July 10, 2018

Chavela —historical Hispanic singer

As I heard Chavela singing, I got goosebumps. I didn’t need to understand the words of the lyrics she sang. My heart understood the heartaches, grief & disappointments of lovers leaving or the endings of love affairs. Hearing her sing, it’s like going through the experience again & then cleansing it out. But that’s not the only reason because I know I’ve heard her before....but where?

Watching this documentary by Catherine Gund & Daresha Kyi answered that burning question for me. It also inspired me with the story of this singer whose career had another chance quite late in her life. Not only did she finally get to sing on big stages to large audiences. She also found some famous and supportive friends like Spanish film director Pedro Almodovar. In fact, you'll hear Chavela in his film Volver which features Penelope Cruz.


Here's a video of Chavela performing Volver:





 Her second chance at her singing career came after she quit drinking. She gave credit to shamanism for helping her. In 2012, she passed away at the age of 93 shortly after a last performance in Spain. As a woman who loved women, she helped pave the way for other gay women.

This film won a number of awards and if you’re able to watch the DVD with extras, you’ll see an interview with the directors.



Some quotes from this film:

“Let’s start with where I’m going, at my age, it’s more interesting for everyone to ask where I’m going, not where I’ve been. It will make your documentary more impactful.” —-Chavela in Mexico, 1991.

"I remember seeing you on TV as a kid, this lady with a long braid "singing like a man" as people used to say, with her bottle of tequila and her poncho...and a guitar. That was Chavela Vargas. But now I'm more intrigued by your life."--woman interviewing Chavela

"At first I dressed like a woman, with long hair, makeup and high heels. But it didn't work. Dressed
like a woman, I looked like a transvestite. Really."---Chavela

"But suddenly I dressed differently, and things took off. And everyone wanted to know,"What's up with Chavela Vargas? She doesn't dress like a woman, style her hair or wear makeup like a woman."---Chavela

"But I wore pants and the public was stunned. Both men and women were into me. Everyone!"---Chavela

"Chavela created her persona in a very macho world, a misogynist world where a lesbian had no place. To become Chavela she had to be stronger, more macha and more drunk than any other singing cowboy around....She had to be the most macha of all the machos.---Alicia Perez Duarte, Human Rights Lawyer

"She was particularly strong in talking about loneliness and abandonment and it was so powerful that it made you experience all those feelings from their very core. And though that's tremendously upsetting there's a feeling in the end of catharsis and uh, in the end, joy."---Laura Garcia Lorca

"She was like a priestess.She established a deep dialogue, like she was only speaking to you. She asked you what no one else would. In your most profound romances, have you made mistakes? It's good that you made mistakes. It's worth it. It's the most important thing that ever happened to you. She absolved you of your sins. Then she encouraged you to commit them again. "---Pedro Almodovar

Some scenes from this film: