Wednesday, March 14, 2018

For the Love of Spock - A Son's Tribute to his Father

This film is a great little documentary about Leonard Nimoy and his character Spock was created by Leonard's son Adam Nimoy.
I don't want to say too much about it except that it was informative, entertaining and touching. Adam was partly motivated to do the project because of the approaching 50th anniversary of the original Star Trek TV series and as an opportunity to get closer to his father.

Here's a link to youtube video about Adam's project:



Here are some quotes from this film:

"...the minute I suggested this to Dad, he was in!"---Adam Nimoy

"My father was truly a renaissance man. He could do just about anything."---Adam Nimoy

"One of my idols was Lon Chaney, who was called the man of a thousand faces in movies, because he's change characters so drastically from one performance to another. And I consider myself that kind of person. I go to the makeup department or the wardrobe department, and get something together and find a character."---Leonard Nimoy

"Leonard Nimoy was the one actor I definitely had in mind. And I thought to myself, "If I ever do this science fiction that I want to do, he's make a great alien. And those cheekbones, with some sort of a pointed ear might go well." I simply made one phone call to Leonard and he came in, and that was it."
---Gene Roddenberry, Radio Interview, 1973

"Prior to Star Trek, I never had a job that lasted longer than two weeks in any television show or movie, never. Two weeks."---Leonard Nimoy

..."When you came on-board with your energy, and a sense of humor, and a twinkle in the eye, I was able to then become the cooler Spock."---Leonard Nimoy to William Shatner about his role as Capt. Kirk

"Has it occurred to you that there's a certain ...inefficiency in constantly questioning me on things you've already made up your mind about?"---Spock to Kirk

Those two characters (Spock and Kirk) are the yin and yang. They are that in fron of the camera, and it works beautifully, magnificently."---George Takei (actor who portrayed Sulu)

You have the cynical wit of McCoy, and you have the swagger and braggadocio of Kirk, and then you have the intellect and cold reason of Spock, he's like the perfect human being all wrapped in one." ---Chris Pine (actor who portrays younger Kirk)

"Dad in his costume, Vulcan costume, it was like, "Wow, this is really cool." I remember it was just such an exciting night for us."---Julie Nimoy (daughter about the premiere of the show Star Trek)

Here are some scenes from this film:


I



























Here's the official trailer for this film: