Friday, April 10, 2015

Mozart and the Whale --A Love Story with Aspies

"This film directed by Petter Naess is a fictional story, but it is inspired by the lives of two real people with Asperger's Syndrome.

The opening scene of this film shows Donald working as a cab driver. He also runs a support group for autistic people. The new member of the group is Isabelle and they start to date. Their first date is for Halloween and gives this film its title.

Josh Hartnett portrays Donald and Radha Mitchell portrays Isabelle. They both have eccentricities and habits which cause problems for their relationship.

This film is funny and touching and filled with colorful, unusual characters including Gracie, the woman who behaves in socially inappropriate ways and was portrayed creatively by Rusty Schwimmer.

Some favorite quotes from this film:

"I save things because you never know. You know?"---Donald

"You said your mom died?You did bury her?...just checking."---Isabelle to Donald

"I'll be there in the morning. I live here."---Donald to Isabelle

"Sweetie, you can't disappoint me. Cause whatever you are, is exactly what I want."---Isabelle

"So when you're sick of him, you can date me?"---Gregory to Isabelle

"There are 200 to 300 million sperm cells in an average ejaculation."---Skeets

"Penguins mate only once a year and it lasts three minutes. I think they're extremely sexy. You wanna know why? I'm only gonna tell you, if you wanna know...When penguins are reunited after a long separation, they stand breast to breast. Their heads are thrown back and their little flippers are trembling and they sing, Skeets, because they're so happy to find each other."---Isabelle

"Izzy, they don't have cabs at the University Medical Center."---Donald

"I used to tell Donald that I wanted people to hear my paintings and see my music 'cause I wanted him to understand them like other people couldn't."---Isabelle

"I have put up with an array of shit from you that no one should tolerate, because I thought that you would do the same for me. But you made me feel like a freak! Behave for your boss? I mean, this is coming from who?---Isabelle

"There's one difference between us, Donald. You want to be normal. You crave it. And that is what broke us up."---Isabelle

"I have a list of friends. Some of them are women."--Gracie

"The only nice thing I had left to give was just not to call."---Donald

Here are some scenes from this film:

















Here is the trailer: