Tuesday, February 7, 2017

Learning to Drive -- a woman transitioning to a new life

I really enjoyed this film with Patricia Clarkson and Ben Kingsley. It was directed by Isabel Coixet and based on an essay written by Katha Pollitt.

Wendy (played by Patricia Clarkson) is going through the process of separation and divorce from her husband Ted (played by Jake Weber) to whom she's been married for 21 years. A visit from her daughter Tasha (played by Grace Gummer )leads to her decision to learn how to drive. At the beginning, she's ambivalent because her husband was the one who always drove and she believed that it was still possible that he might come back to her.

Ben Kingsley portrays Darwan, the Indian driving instructor who teaches her to drive. As Wendy goes through divorcing her husband, Darwan transitions into becoming a married man when he goes through with an arranged marriage to Jasleen (played by Sarita Choudhury). It's funny, touching and thought-provoking. Wendy's learning to drive is also a great metaphor for her transition into her new life as a divorced woman. I truly enjoyed this film!

Interesting little facts about actors in this film:

Both Sarita Choudhury and Ben Kingsley are half-Indian and half-English in descent.

Ben Kingsley's current wife Daniela Lavender has a small role in this film as Mata.

Some quotes from this film:

"Remember driving is a freedom. I wish you to enjoy every kind of freedom, as long as you don't hurt someone. Will you promise me?"---Darwan to young driving student

"You inform me in a public place so I can't make a scene, and you thought that would work?"--Wendy to Ted

"Why not? Why can't you drive? I don't understand this."--Tasha to her mother Wendy

"We've weathered this before. Every seven years, the itch comes over him. He gets restless, does something juvenile. So, at 21 years, we're on our third itch. Or it's male menopause. Instead of buying a motorcycle, Daddy decided to give adultery a spin."---Wendy to Tasha

"You like to help? That's impossible. You can't be from New York."---Wendy to Darwan

"What? Nobody likes Delia Kraus?"---Wendy

"She ploughed through half the faculty. We all said Delia Kraus would fuck gravel."---Wendy

"Come sit in the car, the driver's seat. So you'll get used to it."---Darwan to Wendy

"I never learned to cook because I thought my mother would always be there to cook for me. Then there was half a world between us, and so I make my own food."---Darwan to Wendy

"Well, you have to go forward now because I haven't taught you how to back up."---Darwan to Wendy

"I think in your head, you think you're still in prison, Uncle D."---Preet to Darwan

"The driver's biggest problem is everyone else. You can't always trust people to behave properly."---Darwan to Wendy

"Don't talk Wendy. When you talk you don't see. Watch the light."---Darwan to Wendy

"Well Hallelujah, sis. You know, it's about time you started driving."---Debbie to her sister Wendy

"It's way too much work. Oh, my God, why do you think they call it a job?"--Debbie to Wendy

"I am that house! It's like asking me to move out of me!"---Wendy to her attorney

"Every day people try to push your buttons. You don't engage with them, especially when you drive."---Darwan to Wendy

"I think it's time to discuss road rage. You must learn to be clam and relaxed, not only to drive, but in your life as well.---Darwan to Wendy

"Look at me. It doesn't matter what is going on in your life out there, you must shut it out. When you are here, when you're at the wheel of a car, this is all there is.Your life right now. So take care of it, please. ---Darwan to Wendy

"Since when did you become a lap dancer?"--Ted to Wendy

"Please don't make me do this!"---Wendy to Darwan

"It's about time you took the wheel. Look, a car is the greatest thing in the history of human invention. Forget your house. You can move in here."--Wendy's Dad to Wendy

"Look here is America."---Darwan to Jasleen, while driving through a parking garage

"Yes, you are better off! That is why you are alone and crazy."---Darwan to Wendy

"Love is the one road to God. God doesn't want anyone to be alone."---Darwan to Wendy

"I don't know what I believed about marriage. Except that it would always be there."---Wendy to Darwan

"I love these dude dance metaphors coming from a Connecticut matron."---Wendy to Debbie

"You don't know how much I envy you. I'd love nothing more than to live a life of the mind."---Peter to Wendy

"Very good. You only need a little courage and a little gas."---Darwan to Wendy

"When I was 14, my baba took me out of school."--Jasleen to Darwan

"Wendy, don't forget what I know. You are a very determined woman."---Darwan to Wendy


Some scenes from this film:















Here's the trailer for this film: