Monday, December 21, 2015

Potiche (Trophy Wife)---a French film about a woman taking power with Catherine Deneuve

This is a great film directed by Francois Ozon, starring Catherine Deneuve as Suzanne, the 'Potiche which means 'Trophy Wife' of Robert, a man (played by Fabrice Luchini)who runs an umbrella factory.

Her husband has a mistress but she doesn't mind. Suzanne has her own little secrets.When the opportunity comes up, she steps into in her husband's position because after all, it was originally her father's company!Her style of leadership is very different from her husband's. She finds some help from an old flame Maurice, played by Gerard Depardieu.

I don't want to tell you too much about this film's plot but that it's interesting, thought-provoking and amusing. It's great to watch 3 long-time mature French actors work together in this film. Deneuve is very, very fortunate to be able to play anther interesting character as she continues her long career in acting!There's a lovely scene of Suzanne and Maurice dancing at the Badaboum!

Here are some quotes from this film:

"The kitchen's not my place, the Badaboum's not my place...Where is my place?"---Suzanne to her husband

"Think it's fun to be running an umbrella factory with 300 workers? Constantly battling with thge unions, VAT, price freezes..."---Robert to Suzanne

"I'm not gullible, like your wife."---Nadege, played by Karin Viard

"Sometimes even the closest couples experience a lull. Then the sparks fly again."---Suzanne

"Of course I'm happy. I made up my mind to be."---Suzanne to her Joelle

"The last thing I want is to end up like you, a trophy housewife."---Joelle (played by Judith Godreche) tells her mother Suzanne

"Laurent cannot marry Floriane Marquiest. A Pujol marrying a Marquiset...it's against nature!"---Robert

"I have no desire to work at that factory with Dad. I don't want to be a reactionary boss everyone hates."---Laurent, Suzanne's son played by Jeremie Renier

"You're out of touch. Paternalism is dead. You have to be an asshole to succeed now. A slave to unbridled capitalism."---Laurent

Stirring up the past is a bad idea."---Maurice to Suzanne

"Our little tryst clashes with your image as a working class hero?"---Suzanne to Maurice

"I may be a man of the people but I know how to respect a lady."---Maurice

"Did you tell Laurent to forget the Marquiset girl? .....Fine. Your force me to reveal something. Something rather unpleasant. But you asked for it.---Robert

"To think that you didn't buy me a birthday present. This is some gift!"---Suzanne

"It's a sign of the times, Mom. Women everywhere are taking power."---Laurent

"Workers ask too much when bosses give too little."---Maurice

"Some things are unforgettable!"---Maurice

"Who's the bourgeois with the bumpkin?"---women at Badaboum

"Unfortunately , it's 1977 now."---Joelle

"I refuse to be a trophy mistress!"---Nadege

Here are some scenes from this film:
























Here's the official trailer for this film: