Tuesday, October 14, 2014

Love is All You Need


The original title ("Den Skaldede Frisor") of this Danish film directed by Susanne Bier literally translates as "The Bald Hairdresser." BTW, Susanne Bier has done some very interesting films. I'll mention some more directed by her in future posts.

Ida, (portrayed wonderfully by Danish actress Trine Dyrholm) the heroine of this film is in fact a bald hairdresser, hence the original Danish title.   She wears a blond wig to hide her bald head, a symptom of her cancer treatment. She comes home to find her husband Leif (Kim Bodnia) engaged "in action" on their living room couch with another woman.

Meanwhile, Trine's daughter  Astrid (played by Molly Blixt Egelind) is in Italy with her fiancĂ© Patrick (played by Sebastian Jessen) preparing for their wedding at his family's Italian home.

By accident, Ida meets the Phillip (played by Pierce Brosnan, who even though he's getting older is still quite dashingly handsome!), father of her daughter's fiancĂ©. Be sure to check out the car that Ida is driving.

I found this to be a very enjoyable film with humor, drama, romance and intrigue. It qualifies as a multilingual film with English, Danish and Italian. Those who love color and scenery, will enjoy the lovely scenery in the Italian locations. Watch for the recurring images of lemons and roses.

BTW, Trine along with another Danish actor, who I find quite intriguing,  is in another film that I'll be reviewing soon

Some quotes from the film:

“I doubt he’s even noticed one of them is missing.” ---Ida talking about her breasts

“Bitten, you gorgeous, beautiful, sweet girl. This is never gonna happen. I am a guy who has chosen to be by himself. Simple as that. ---Philip

“You’re doing her on my mom’s couch, while I’m fighting for my life.”---Ida

“You’re so emotional. You got your finger up your bum and your brain in neutral.”—Patrick


“Let me quote Henry Miller, You can never get nor give enough love. And to quote Herman Bang, Indifference is love’s most painful dregs.”---Benedikte

Conversation:

“I really don’t understand why anybody will work for you. When you’re so awful and stupid and not nice.”---Ida


“I pay them good money.”---Philip

Here are some scenes from this film:






















Here's the trailer: