Sunday, March 30, 2014

Rabbit Hole - Loss, Grief & Love


Aaron Eckhart and Nicole Kidman portray Howie and Becca, a couple overwhelmed with grief by the loss of their young son.

Things start to shift when Becca starts a friendship with Jason (portrayed by Miles Teller) the young man responsible for their loss. Howie also takes his own path when he continues to attend the grief support group that Becca rejects.

Both Becca and Howie gone their own ways in trying to cope with their loss. Howie almost commits infidelity. Becca finds it even more difficult as her sister Izzy  (portrayed by Tammy Blanchard) is expecting a child. BTW, Izzy's boyfriend Augie is portrayed by Giancarlo Esposito.

Sandra Oh is great as Gabby, the support group member who copes by smoking pot.

Dianne Wiest is great as Nat, Becca's mother who also continues to grieve her own loss of her son Arthur. She tries very hard to help her daughter by sharing her experiences with her.

One of the concepts presented in this film that I found quite interesting was the idea of Parallel Universes. In fact in one scene, Becca looks at a book in the library titled Parallel Universes by Fred Alan Wolf. In reality, this author exists but none of his books has this title. He does have a recent book out titled Time Loops and Space Twists in which he discusses time, space and matter related to research and mythology too. Here's an article about it.

Some great quotes from this film:

"I've been reading that book, the Parallel Universe book.... It's interesting. I don't know if I buy it., the whole alternate reality thing, I just...I don't know. But's it's interesting." --Becca

"If space is infinite, there's tons of you out there."---Jason

"You plant your fat ass in that chair every frickin' day." ---Nat

"I resent the feeling that I get from you that I don't deserve this baby. Or that I'm not mature enough or smart enough to take care of it. I mean, my God, if Mom could do it, how hard could it be?"---Izzy

Some scenes from this film:


























Here's the official trailer:




Here's an interesting clip about Parallel Universes: